Google

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Top Filipino Athletes!

One of the reasons why I started to do blogs at this site is to update all sports fanatics like me about what is happening in the sports world most especially to update Filipino sports fans of how are the Filipino athletes are doing internationally in their respective fields. Maybe you would ask why I am very interested in sports. The reason behind it is that I myself was an athlete way back in my high school and college years. I have played almost all the games (but not all) that you know. I am at best in the field of chess. I was a varsity chess player for my high school (Bicol University College of Education Laboratory High School) and also in college (Bicol University College of Engineering). I used to represent Legazpi City in the regional sports fest of Region V (Bicol Region). If I were to rank the games which I played before, the ranking would be: 1. Chess, 2. Soccer, 3. Basketball, 4. Track and Field, 5. Lawn Tennis. These were the games I played in competition. I also play badminton but I haven’t competed in any competition with such sport.
As I was saying earlier this blog would be a news blog about our Filipino Athletes who are doing well in their sports. Let this be a venue for those people who want to hear sports news as well. So let me start by what I have read recently.
1.In chess, let is congratulate Wesley So for being the youngest Grand Master in Chess to date at the age of 14 yrs old. He got his third and final GM Norm in the 2nd Prospero Pichay Chess Cup held last October here in the Philippines. This is really a fete for Philippine chess. In the first leg of ASEAN Masters Chess Circuit held in Tarakan, Indonesia, we produced our ninth Filipino Chess Grand Master in the name of Jayson Gonzales. Also in that event, topping Group B is Grand Master Mark Paragua with 9.0 points, he never lost in the tournament. Finishing second to him is non-other than GM-elect Jayson Gonzales. Also did well in category B is IM-elect Rolando Nolte. In category A, the top Filipino finisher was GM Wesley So.
2. Let us congratulate our women golfers, Jennifer Rosales and Dorothy Delasin in winning the 2008 Women’s Golf World Cup. This is the first time that team Philippines won the world cup. Finishing 2nd to them is South Korea.
3. In boxing, we have Nonito Donaire, our IBF/IBO world champion who made an upset in the fifth round by a KO of Darchinyan which became the bout of the year. There is also my “tokayo” Florante Condes, our IBF minimumweight king. And of course our Manny Pacquiao who is now training in United States for his slated bout on my March 15 (that is my birthday I expect to receive presents) with the superflyweight champion Marquez. The Filipinos are looking forward to this match.
That’s all for now, I will keep you updated of all the Filipino athletes who are competing across the globe. You can make suggestions on whom to feature on this blog by making comments to this blog. I would be expecting to hear from all of you friends and soon to be friends. Until next time.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=eab9aefea3b9e81ab83ca654030fd8c4